I've featured three previous images from Ramsau (see here, here, and here), but this image gives you a great overview of the town. The central church visible in the distance was, for example, seen from the other side in this entry. The stream (viewing in the opposite direction) was profiled here. And the beaten path in which I saw some old sheds (such as the one on the left side of the frame in this image) was profiled here. Schönau am Königsee and Ramsau were two of my favourite places I visited this summer. I want to come back to this place in the winter, because see how amazing it can look.
Like my previous two entries, this is also a high dynamic range image. It was captured from three exposures, with exposure times of 1/5 seconds, 0.6 seconds, and 3.2 seconds. I used Photomatix Pro to tonemap the image, and then did a lot of work in Photoshop and Lightroom. One of the things I did in Photoshop is do a layers adjustment on the colours visible in the stream; in a method I rarely use, I chose to experiment with replacing the colours, and in this particular case, I went with cyan tones to better match the palate of the entire frame. I also had an adjustment layer for the sky, an adjustment layer for the buildings, and one for the blurred motion of the water visible in the right hand-side of the frame.
What I love about this scene is that before you are completely immersed and think that you are witnessing something so peaceful, note the red streak (just below and to the right of the church) of a passing car. Those of you that don't like HDR will probably shy away from this image; I was going for the painterly effect with the post-processing here (compare to, say, yesterday's image with the purpose of going with something moody and dark).
I have a lot of things to say about HDR photography, but perhaps I will save my thoughts for a future post. In the meantime: if you don't like HDR photography, chime in with your thoughts in the comments. I may incorporate them in a future post. The rest of you who don't mind (or even like) HDR photography, enjoy this image!
If you're interested, my entire gallery from Germany is here.
1) If you like and/or appreciate this image, please vote for Erudite Expressions here and for my photo of the year submission here.
2) Check out my latest photo contest here.
3) If you want to make suggestions on what images you want to see on Erudite Expressions, try using the Suggestions tab on the right hand-side of the page. It's free and simple to use!
4) Read my updated books page here (two book reviews posted).
5) My next post will probably be on Wednesday or Thursday (busy schedule ahead).
6) I had a great photoshoot in Stone Mountain Park today. If you are interested in hiring me, check out this page.
7) Looking for some awesome desktop wallpaper? I made one from one of my images from Schönau am Königsee and even incorporated November's calendar on it. It's free to download right here.
|<||main | comments | archives & galleries | prints | RSS | coolphotoblogs • listed • VOTE | Doors of Prague | hire me||>|
|facebook page | flickr | reading | about | share this! | Tweet|
|Copyright © 2006-2012 Erudite Expressions | contact me|